Applicants should seek admission to graduate programs that can assist them to develop their abilities, interests, and skills and can effectively place them in appropriate occupational or educational situations.
Application forms may be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies after payment of an application fee at the stipulated bank (s). Foreign applicants can apply online at the web site [Insert URL]
Unless otherwise stated, University prospects start submitting applications by December and ending on 31st March each academic year. It may be extended up to 30th April of each academic year.
However, applications for Doctor of Philosophy/Doctoral degrees are made and received throughout the year with the exception of Doctoral degree programmes by course work and research. Admissions for the later category shall be processed two months before the beginning of each semester. Applicants within this category of degree must attach two copies of a synopsis of 3-5 pages to the application for vetting and approval before they can qualify for provisional admission of up to one year.
Relevant copies of certificates and certified copies of academic transcripts and three reference letters (at least two from academic referees) must accompany all completed application forms.
Forms which are not completed properly cause delays in the processing of applications and may be rejected. Transcripts and other academic documents that are not in English must be translated by the Institute of Languages or an authorized body before submission of applications and attachments.
Guidelines for the transfer of Credit Units for Graduate Students who apply to transfer from other recognized Universities or equivalent Institute of Higher Learning to Makerere University comprise the following requirements
Before applying, the applicant is advised to make sure that there is adequate financial support to cover fees and other requirements. The fees structures prescribed in admission letters do not cover research and accommodation expenses.
Functional Fees (Excluding Tuition)
Table 1. The Current University Functional Fees
Type of fee (Ugandan Students rate), (International Students rate)
1. Application Fee 50,000/= 151,500/=
2. Late Application Fee 60,000/= 161,500/=
3. Registration Fee 120,000/= p.a. 202,000/= p.a.
4. Late Registration 50,000/= p.a. 101,100/= p.a.
5. Administration Fee 200,000/= p.a. 484,800/= p.a.
6. Examinations (Diploma and Masters) Fee 200,000/= p.a. 707,000/= p.a.
7. Examinations (PhD) Fee 300,000/= p.a. 1,010,000/= p.a.
8. Re-examination (per course) 20,000/= p.a. 30,300/= p.a.
9. Library Fee 20,000/= p.a. 40,400/= p.a.
10. Transcript Fee 20,000/= @ 101,000/= @
11. Graduation Fee 30,000/= 202,000/=
12. Certificate Fee 20,000/= @ 101,000/= @
13. Academic Document Certification 3,000/= @ 101,000/= @
14. Change of Programme/Course (Per copy) 5,000/= 20,200/=
15. Identity Card 15,000/= p.a. 40,400=/ p.a.
16. Technology Fee 80,000/= p.a. 161,600/=p.a.
17. Verification Fee 50,000/= 101,000/=
18. Convocation Fee 10,000/= 101,000/=
19. National Council for Higher Education(NHCE) 20,000/= 20,000/=
Note the following:
The funds required by a student for the items listed below will be provided by the sponsors of the students.
Item PhD Masters
Note that these fees are subject to revision by Council.